Publishing Banns of Marriage Application Form

To be married in the Church of England (CofE) it is a requirement that your ‘Banns of marriage’ be read.  The banns are published by being read aloud during the main service of your local Church of England parish church on three successive Sundays preceding your wedding ceremony. The congregation is invited to register objections, if they have any. It is usual for the couple to be in attendance on at least one of the three occasions when the banns are published.

The reading of the Banns will take place in the main service of your local Church of England parish church of each of the two persons being married, and in the church in which they are getting married. Of course this may well be all one and the same church! That is, if the couple live in the same parish and are getting married in their local parish church then they will only need their Banns to be ‘published’ in that one place. However, in theory, the Banns may need to be read out in three separate locations. This is where the couple live in different parishes from one another and are getting married in a third parish.

There is a fee that is charged in each parish in which you have your banns read out. If your wedding is taking place outside of the St J's Group then you will need to pay us £43 for us to read your banns (this includes the issuing of your certificate to present to the Minister officiating at your Wedding ceremony). To pay by cheque then please make it payable either to ‘PCC of Peasedown’ 'PCC of Wellow' or 'PCC of Foxcote with Shoscombe' (depending obviously on which of our three churches is reading out your Banns) and send to: Jane Street, The Vicarage, Church Road, Peasedown St John, BA2 8AA

The administrator will send you an invoice for you to pay (once your banns have been read).

Please send an email to to confirm you have paid.

If, however, you are getting married here in the St J’s Group then there is no need to make a payment at this point, as we will raise an invoice for the total amount owed to us for your wedding closer to the wedding date (the week following the final reading of your Banns to be precise). This will include the cost of reading your Banns in our parish.

To pay via BACS on-line here are the relevant details:

Name: PCC of Peasedown St John

Sort-code: 60-14-24

Account Number: 51009838

Name: PCC of Wellow

Sort-code: 60-02-05

Account number: 50935658

Name: PCC of Foxcote with Shoscombe

Sort-code: 60-14- 24

Account Number: 50386735